Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Third Day in Los Roques

After breakfast (Auntie Els: this was toast, scrambled eggs, and pancakes) we boarded the terrible lurching speedboat of doom. They started up the boat and it sped off quickly. I decided to sit at the very front of the boat. It was all rickety-rockety and I was being bounced about a lot, but that didn't matter because I liked it, and anyway I wasn't getting as wet as everyone else was. It was half an hour and eventually I was getting really fed up of the bumping about. We reached the island of Cayo do Agua and I got up and told everyone, 'We're safe! We're still in one piece!'

We got off and the people set up our umbrellas and brought us our chairs and cool box, and I went off snorkelling for a little while. There were all different kinds of fish: small fish, big fish, fry, colourful fish, and white fish. In the afternoon I went to the coral area and did some more snorkelling and I saw a barracuda. It was a little hard to make out but it was long, thin, and full of sharp teeth.

The island had soft sand and there was a sand bar which connected the island we were on to another with a lighthouse on it. The sand bar had waves coming from both sides so there were no dry patches.

On the way back there was more bumping about but still Lucy fell asleep which was a miracle. We made a stop at another remote sand bar once used by sailors so they could scrape the barnacles off the bottoms of their wooden boats, or fix them, called Carenero. 

Now I'm waiting for dinner at the Posada. Dinners are always scrumptious. Last night we had zucchini carpaccio for starters, followed by kingfish pieces with salad and potatoes. It was a bit like fish and chips. For dessert there was a traditional Italian cake called tres leches, which they said means 'three kinds of milk'.

3 comments:

  1. I just looked up that cake. It is soaked in evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream. Did Peter eat it too?? Sounds like Stuart's type of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Daddy ate it, too. You're right, it probably does sound like Uncle Stuart's type of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [I wish to report that I did not eat *all* of my piece. Daddy.]

    ReplyDelete