Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Last Day in Cartagena

A view of the theatre
Today we went to see an old theatre; pretty small as theatres go. There were big cushiony red seats and a marble staircase leading up to the circle. Lucy and I did some performances on the stage since it was all empty.








Me and a toucan
Let the match begin!
We went for a snack at a café in a hotel which used to be a convent and there was a giant courtyard in the middle with statues, plants, and a well. There's a type of plant which grows wild here called mimosa which when you give it a good poke all the leaves fold up. I found some in the courtyard that also folded but did it very slowly. In the café there were two toucans. They looked a little different than the ones I saw in Brazil and Argentina a few years back. They flew round, hung on the chandeliers, and stole food from people's plates. One landed on the back of my sister's chair and my chair. I saw one of them wrestling a stuffed toy toucan.

I had a pain au chocolat and a lemonade. This is the last day in Cartagena and in the evening we went up on the roof terrace and watched the sun set over the city.

3 comments:

  1. You and Lucy must be exhausted. What an exciting trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the mimosa like a Venus flytrap?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry we missed you two improvising in the theatre, that would have been very funny. I hope daddy was video-ing you. It sounds very unusual having toucans loose in the cafe. I hope they have been trained to use the bathroom?

    ReplyDelete